Sunday, February 14, 2010

Stop Motion + Spring Break!

Published by Sarah Sovereign at 11:25 PM

I am officially now on my spring break and I pretty much love it. If I could craft an interpretive dance dedicated to spring break that would BLOW YOUR MIND, I'd be right on out there making jazz hands and wowing the world with my continuous kick-ball-changes. Not that I don't have a truck load of things to do through this week, it's just that most of it is really fun.

1. Finish my stop motion! I spent about 30 hours glued to my computer a week ago, and after creating a little trailer (posted at the end of this post) and joining together most of my footage, I've decided to do a little reshooting. I'm still also working out the music of the film ... classical music? Or music by the lovely Josephine Foster and Fleet Foxes? At any rate, I am in love with this whole stop motion process. Some day I'd like to start work on some wire work .. have them move arms and legs and the like, in more elaborate storylines with fixed, non flickering light. Ahhhh. Lovely.

2. Photography Project! The assignment is to reference something from our past.. so I dug up some of my old black and white negatives and reprinted them with liquid light on envelopes and other things. I'll then be embroidering those onto a big square of fabric, and pinning them down with colour photographs as well. These photographs will chronicle my journeys between Ontario and BC, a road trip which I've now made several times. Tomorrow I plan on curling up on my little couch with a needle, a thread, and my collection of old horror and mystery films I bought at work tonight, just getting the bulk of the piece finished.

3. Drawing. I am not much of a sketcher. I am pretty impatient when it comes to drawing, and let's face it: not all that good at it. I need to bulk up my drawing portfolio for drawing class, ... also, I cannot seem to stop myself from adding things that aren't actually there to the little things our instructor asks us to sketch. Little drawings of twigs and pinecones... suddenly need to have tiny polka-dotted mushrooms added to the side, and little flowers. A strange piece of piping dug up from who knows where .... has intricate patterns of diamonds and circles all around it. The other day my instructor walked around the room and paused at my sketchbook and said, "Oh. No.. this is really good .. for you." Hah. (I will scan these in eventually.)

Also, Happy Valentine's Day, World! When I was a kid, Valentine's Day was always more about going out to my Grandma's house for her birthday, where we'd give her little heart themed presents. Last night Jamie and I went out for dinner, and then back to his place to ... are you ready? Play awesome video games, until I crashed at about 10:30 p.m. because I am an old woman. An awesome, video game playing old woman.

Finally, I am fully addicted to GoodReads. I just finished "The Thirteenth Tale", and am working my way through American Gods. More photo shoots are also in the works... as well as some awesomeness involving journals. Ah! I am at my happiest when there are multiple fun projects to work on.

And finally, the trailer for Little Brown Owl Goes Outside! The song playing is "Melody for a Fallen Tree" by Windsor for the Derby.



2 comments:

moth pockets said...

Yay, breaks! And I'm very envious of all the cool stuff on your to-do list. At the moment, mine consists almost entirely of one item: find job. :(

Sarah Sovereign said...

Aww... good luck!! Who knows how much on my do list is actually going to be to DONE, ... money is going to be tight (is tight) and me and Jamie will be working most of the time to afford to keep Mr. Jax in the manner to which he's become accustomed. Hah.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails